A Top Ten List of Hillary’s Lies, Scams, Hustles and Deceitfulness
BY EDWARD KLEIN/ DECEMBER 23, 2015
Donald Trump says Hillary Clinton “lies like crazy.”
He’s in good company.
Nearly 20 years ago, the Pulitzer Prize-winning columnist William Safire wrote: “Americans of all political persuasions are coming to the sad realization that [Hillary Clinton] is a congenital liar.”
Here, as a refresher course for those with short memories, is a Top Ten List of Hillary’s Lies, Scams, Hustles and Deceitfulness.
1. “I remember landing [in Bosnia] under sniper fire,” Hillary boasted. In fact, a video of the trip shows Hillary and her daughter Chelsea being greeted at the peaceful airport in Tuzla, Bosnia, by a young girl with flowers.
2. Hillary complained that she and her husband left the White House “dead broke.” In fact, they left with contracts for lecture and speeches worth between $20 and $30 million.
3. As a junior senator, Hillary voted to authorize the war in Iraq. But when the war became unpopular, she flip-flopped and opposed the surge in Iraq. Later she admitted she did so purely out of political expediency—she wanted to gain advantage over Barack Obama in the 2008 Democrat primary.
4. When Hillary was running for the 2008 Democrat nomination, she told the editorial board of the Nashua Telegraph, a leading New Hampshire newspaper, that she favored a plan to give driver’s licenses to illegal immigrants. She later claimed she never said that.
5. Hillary approved an unethical—and probably illegal—sweetheart deal for her closest aide Huma Abedin. It allowed Huma to receive a $135,000-a-year- salary from the State Department, while she was being paid as a member of the board of the Clinton Foundation, and worked as a $335,00o-a-year outside consultant to a firm founded by a Bill Clinton crony named Doug Band.
6. Hillary refused to designate the notorious al Qaeda-linked Nigerian Islamist group Boko Haram as a terrorist organization because a major contributor to the Clinton Foundation, who had business interests in Nigeria, asked her not to.
7. Hillary voted to approve the sale of 20 percent of the uranium production capacity in the United States to a Russian company.
8. Hillary intervened to fix a problem that UBS, a giant of the Swiss banking industry, was having with the IRS. She did so because UBS had donated $600,000 to the Clinton Foundation and paid Bill Clinton $1.5 million for a series of speeches.
9. Hillary lied about Benghazi. She e-mailed her daughter Chelsea that the attack on the consulate was caused by al-Qaeda elements, but she told the families of the four dead Americans and the American people that it was caused by a video.
10. Hillary lied numerous times about her e-mails.
a) She said it wasn’t convenient to carry two phones, so she carried only one with her private e-mail account. Not true. She had multiple electronic devices, including another BlackBerry and an iPad. And not incidentally, her aide Huma Abedin, not Hillary, carried the phone.
b) She said she turned over her emails because of a routine State Department request. Not true. The e-mails were subpoenaed by the Benghazi committee.
c) She said she turned over all her work-related e-mails. Not true. Missing from the 30,000 e-mails were contacts with Sidney Blumenthal, Tony Blair, and CIA director David Petraeus, among others.
d) She said that among the 33,000 “private” e-mails that she deleted were communications with her husband. Not true. Bill Clinton said that he had sent a grand total of two e-mails in his life.
e) She said she did not e-mail any classified material. Not true. The Inspector General of the intelligence community found that Hillary received and sent many classified e-mails, including those relating to the North Korean nuclear program.
f) In a letter to Representative Trey Gowdy, the chairman of the House Select Committee investigating the deadly terrorist attacks in Benghazi, Hillary said that the only private e-mail address she ever used while secretary of state was email@example.com. Not true. In fact, she had a second e-mail address, HRod17@clintonemail.com, and didn’t tell Gowdy about it.
g) She kept her second e-mail address secret because she used it in secret exchanges with Sidney Blumenthal, who was acting as her back channel on Libya.